Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ba-de-ba-de-ba-de-ba-de-talk?


Esme has made some huge language gains lately! She is trying really hard to talk most of the time, and has started to imitate two word phrases like "sand-box", "want juice" or "bye-bye Daddy". She has also started doing this thing where she says "ba-de-ba-de-ba-de" before words when she is requesting an item (eg. Ba-de-ba-de-ba-de-popsicle?). It's almost like she knows she's not just supposed to say "shoes" if she wants her shoes, but she can't remember what it is she is supposed to say, so she babbles. It might not seem like much, or might seem like a step in the wrong direction, but to us its another attempt to communicate on our level. She is getting there.

It just takes her lots of time.

Esme likes to take her time. Most of the things she does happen when she is good and ready, and not one minute before.

She usually times it to right around the time I am thinking "Is she EVER going to __________???". I have usually, by this point, read every book ever written on the subject. I have consulted therapists and friends. I am usually about one day away from pulling out the big guns and telling her its my way or the highway!

And then, in her own time and in her own way, she quietly does the thing that was causing me so much anxiety and grief in the first place.

She laughs for the first time. She calls me "Mommy" and not "My". She sleeps through the night. She sleeps in her own bed. She starts saying words. She goes on a carnival ride. She stops nursing (just this past week!).

She starts to put two words together.

In her own way and in her own time, she does it.

With a little help, I know she will find a way to do whatever she wants to do. When she's ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hoooo! She knows how to make you work for it Zane. Hugs to Ezzy and congrats on the word-harnessing!!! Tell her I, for one, am SO proud of her!

Love
Brenda